BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thanking the past

Today, I did something I had been meaning to get around to for nearly a decade.  I thanked a woman who was instrumental in giving me the gentle push to turn my life around.  I didn't know her name, but I knew what her job was 10 years ago, so, on a hope and a prayer, I emailed the following letter to the directors of the Adult Education Program of USD 501 - which is now housed at WU Institute of Technology (then it was Kaw Area Technical School). 

My letter of thanks: 

Dear Mary Ann and Melissa,

I wanted to write you both an email to share my story with you because someone in your office changed my life 10 years ago. 

I had dropped out of high school at age 17 after dealing with a series of tragedies in my life.  I ran away from home from nearby Mayetta Kansas - to a place very far away - in Tennessee along with a friend who was reporting to her military post in that state.  I lived in Tennessee for three years and during that time, got married and had a beautiful baby girl.

After my then husband's military service ended, I somehow convinced him to move to Kansas.  I found employment waiting tables as at the Holiday Inn restaurant. It was a tough life with our daughter. 



The fact that I didn't have my high school diploma weighed heavily on my conscious.  I had been an A student through the course of my life and I felt a sense of longing to finish what I had started.  In the Spring of 2000, filled with angst, I walked through the doors of your Adult Education Center to take a pre-test.  My scores were high, allowing me to fast forward past the preparatory classes and straight to the actual GED test.

I'll never forget the day I bounded into your building to retrieve my scores.  It was a day that changed my life forever. 
After telling the lady who was working my name, she thumbed through the test results until she found mine.  She looked at the score for a long moment, and then met my eager gaze.  "Hold on," she said with a hint of uncertainty in her voice.  "I want to make sure this is right." 

She left the counter and went into another room.  I stood alone with my stomach in knots wondering if I had failed.  


She quickly emerged with a huge grin.  She apologized but explained she had never seen a score that high before.  I was elated and remember everything she told me.  She opened a catalog to Allen County Community College and circled some information for me and explained she knew I could receive a scholarship with my high score.  I wish I could remember the name of this wonderful woman.

I left there with that booklet clutched tightly in my hand.  The promise of hope for my future was sweet and for the first time in a long time, I felt alive again.


I did call Allen County and discovered by enrolling full time with my GED score, I could receive my tuition and fees covered with no charge.  Pell Grants covered additional costs and even helped me pay to have daycare watch my daughter.  After one year at Allen County at their Burlingame Campus, I was inducted into Phi Theta Kappa, a two-year college honor society, and then applied for transfer to Washburn.  Washburn University offered me a scholarship of $1,500 per year for my academics and the honor society gave me an additional $1,200 per year.  I applied for every scholarship I could find and received many.  Between academic scholarships and Pell Grants, my entire college education cost me nothing but hard work and determination.

I walked in a cap and gown in May of 2004 pending a dreaded Spanish class, and thanks to another new baby and later a divorce, it took me a while to complete (Summer 2008).  But, much in part of the quick encouragement of some angel on your staff, I am now the Director of Communications for United Way of Greater Topeka.  I have my Bachelors of Arts Degree in Mass Media with dual emphases in Public Relations and Journalism. 


And, best of all, I have set an example for my two daughters and new baby son of which I have tremendous pride.


I just wanted to share my story and thank you.  Many years ago, I also participated in the GED graduation ceremony - if you ever have an opportunity for a speaker for this engagement, I would love the opportunity to motivate others to pursue their dreams.

Thank you

Jamie


Almost immediately after sending it, I received a reply - well, it wasn't a reply, but rather an email between Melissa and Mary Ann that I accidentally got copied on:


WOW!  I believe this angel at the front desk was you, Melissa.  What a wonderful testimony.  Yes, print this off and post it.  I will keep a copy and we will contact Jamie to be a speaker for us :)  This letter came at just the right time to boost our mood, didn't it? ! :)  ma

Soon after, an email came to me:


Jamie,
 
Thank you for writing to us and for sharing your beautiful story.  Congratulations on your graduation from Washburn and on your excellent job with the United Way!  I will keep your letter and we will certainly contact you to be a speaker for us at graduation and, possibly, to our students in classes, too.  They often need a boost to keep up their motivation and to believe that all of their work toward the GED really is worthwhile.  All good wishes for continuing success.   Mary Ann
 
It felt great to finally pass on the thanks and I'm thrilled to learn it was Melissa and that she's still there inspiring others - and now I may have the opportunity to do the same!  I'll keep you posted.
 

0 comments: